Latex Paint (also known as water-based paint) is non-hazardous. Here’s how to properly dispose of it.
- Make sure the paint can is ½ full or less. If the can is more than that, pour excess into another container such as a milk jog or coffee can.
- Add clay-based kitty litter or Speedy Dry so the can is ¾ full.
- Stir the paint/kitty litter or Speedy Dry mixture.
- If liquid pain remains, add more kitty litter or Speedy Dry and stir.
- Allow the paint/kitty litter or Speedy Dry mixture to dry until I is no longer pourable.
- Replace paint can lid and dispose of the paint can with your household trash.
Oil-based paint can only be disposed of at one of the Household Hazardous Waste and Document Shredding Days sponsored by the Improvement Authority.